Wednesday, 5 April 2017

You Don't Compare, Because You Shouldn't


Trust me, I get it, It's hard not to compare yourself to others in the blogging world. But in reality, a lot of the time people are comparing themselves to bloggers that are established, already found their place and have pretty much been doing it for years. It's an unrealistic comparison, inspiration maybe, but don't ever compare.



As much as you may aspire to be as popular and be able to take the effortless outfit pictures as them, it won't happen overnight. And you will also never be them, sounds harsh, I know. But it's important to remember that individuality is what shines through. Who wants to see the same from everyone? The streets would be a boring place if everyone dressed the same. No one would stand out. And that's where individuality comes in, nobody has all the same followers, because not everyone is interested in the same.

It's super easy to get engulfed in the flat lays, follow the same make up trend, buy the #bloggersfavorite item. Just as easy as it can be to forget your own individual flare. Let's face it, there's always going to be a brand new item that everyone wants, and will also review. But yours will only stand out if it's written by you and photographed by showing your personality. You don't have to love what everyone else thinks is the new best thing. Write from your heart. Don't like the product? Say so, a brand would be more appreciative of your honesty, rather than another blog post saying its a 'holy grail'. I personally will scroll through blog after blog about one product until I find an honest review, and I'll normally make a decision from that.

Growth is a real struggle at the moment on almost all social platforms. I may be having a strop because I'm getting stuck on just under 1'000 on most platforms, but I'm not the only one. I was speaking to my sister Alice about it, and she's been part of the blogging world far longer than me. And even with her thousands of follower's, the same is happening to her. So, if you're fairly new and getting frustrated about numbers and followings, don't, because everyone is in the same boat.

I don't play the following game. If someone follows me, I will always check out their Instagram page and I'll follow if I like what I see. Yes, Instagram is competitive, and if you don't immediately follow back you'll more than likely get unfollowed. But, as much as Instagram is a massive ball ache. I love it at the same time, and I want to scroll and enjoy what I see. Not just flicking through a shit tonne of random pictures because 'they followed me so I have to follow back'. I won't ever follow that trend, you can find so much inspiration from Instagram but you won't see it if your feed is clogged with people you have no idea about or even have any interest in.

There's a few bloggers I know of, that started this whole journey at around the same time as me. Some have grown faster than me, some gave up as they weren't growing as fast as they wanted and I've even seen one person after 3 months say they were deleting all things blog because a brand hadn't approached to work with them yet. It takes time! I'm not going to dwell on the fact other people have got further than me, because that's not what I'm going for. I write because I enjoy what I can produce, and I get to mumble on about what ever I fancy that day. It's the freedom of having my personality shine through my writing and even being able to chuck an F bomb in every now and again. Because that's who I am.

I know, it's hard not to compare, but, comparing is only going to get you down. Use these people as inspiration, see what they do on social sites and learn from them. But most of all, do you. Be who you want to be and don't shape your self to fit the blogging world, let the blogging world fit and embrace you.

Emily-May x
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Comparing yourself to others within any situation is so easily done. We've all done it and it only ends in one way - making yourself feel like total crap! I totally agree with this post and loved reading it. <3

    Taylor Jane xx

    www.taylorjane.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh this post is so beautifully written. I absolutely love it. I feel like we sometimes forget and end up comparing ourselves to others but we're all very special and unique in our own way. Love this girl and your blog is so pretty! x

    sami | possiblysami.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post and it couldn't be more true! I sometimes find myself caught up into comparing myself and then I just have a reality check because I'm still a new blogger and finding my own way and style and that's how I like it! I don't want to be like everyone else, there's no fun in that! I sometimes find myself giving into the hype of products but that's just because I love to try out things people have recommended and see if they work for me too. I'm the same with instragam too, I always check out who follows me and scroll through their page and follow back if I like what I see instead of just following everyone back! Great post lovely

    Ellie x

    www.elliesbitsofbeauty.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a newbie too so i get that it's hard, but you just make yourself feel rubbish! x

      Delete
  4. Everything you said here is so true! I struggle with comparing my self to others way too much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is hard not to sometimes x

      Delete

© The Auras of Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig